Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Muskego High School Drama Club http://www.tanglephotography.com/Theater/Drama-Club-Father-of-the-Bride http://www.facebook.com/tanglephotography?sk=photos
MHS Drama Club put on Father of the Bride this week. About a week ago, I took headshots of all the actors and actresses that were helping to hang the drop. Using the Canon 7d with my portrait lens (24-70mm F2.8) with dual flashes shot in the lobby with natural light, I managed to get some very nice shots like these:

I printed these up at one of our favorite National Print labs and they looked fantastic! We did 8x10's for the seniors and 5x7's for the rest of the cast. We made a collage print for the club case and I think it turned out great! The shots for the play are always challenging, because of limited lighting options. I like to do them "journalistic" style, during the dress rehearsal and candid, no posing. The lighting is decent when you are close to the stage. So I set the light meter to partial and try to get as much depth of field as possible (usually f/4 or f/5 is all I can do) and keep the ISO down around 1200-2000.
Once in a while it's good to take away some depth of field and get that fuzzy background look (called bokeh) for the shot to drive the viewers eye in, check out this shot of Kaitlyn, Miss Belemy, shot at f/2.8 with ISO 800. I was standing on the stage, near the wing so I wouldn't interrupt rehearsal too much. Next week we're off to a destination wedding. Should be LOTS of fun! Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment